Durham, New Hampshire
Durham is home to the University of New Hampshire, and is situated along Great Bay at the mouth of the Oyster River. Durham was originally called Oyster River Plantation.
The town was burned to the ground after an Indian attack in the summer of 1694. The community rebuilt and by 1716 Durham was renamed after Durham, England. Incorporated in 1732, Durham once included portions of the present day towns of Madbury, Lee, and Newmarket. Because of its very arable land the town developed as a farming community.
One of the early settlers, Benjamin Thompson, bequeathed his assets and family estate, Warner Fram, to the state to establish an agricultural college. Originally founded in 1866 in Hanover, the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts moved to Durham in 1893 and became the University of New Hampshire in 1923.
Copyright ©2018 The New England Real Estate Network, Inc. All rights reserved. This information is deemed reliable, but not guaranteed. The data relating to real estate displayed on this Site comes in part from the IDX Program of NEREN. The information being provided is for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Data last updated 04/25/18 03:39 PM